Thursday 19 March 2009

Netbooks...

Today I’ve been looking at netbooks. I don't own a laptop and I've decided I’ll probably want one while I’m away in the summer for internetting, dumping all the photos off my camera onto and watching movies while I’m on the train/plane. Trouble is, I'd have to lug it about with me and I really want to be travelling light, so the logical option would be to go for a teeny tiny netbook. Other than size, my other main limitation is price. Finance for the big trip is tight as it is, so there’s no way I can afford to spend more than £200 on a netbook. This wouldn't be so hard to achieve, but a lot of cheaper ones only have 8" screens and 8-16GB SSDs for storage. For what I want to use it for, I need one with an actual hard drive way bigger than the SSD models. Ideally I'd want an Asus Eee PC 1000H, with it's 10" screen, 160gb HDD and Atom N270 CPU, but they're fucking expensive so right now I’m ebaying for either a second hand one of those, or a cheaper Siemens Amilo Mini (8.9" screen, 60gb HDD, other specs more or less the same). The Amilo's reviews aren’t brilliant and the keyboard seems a little dodgy, but i like the design (kinda retro?) and, most importantly, it’s cheaper than Asus or Dell or Acer. I must choose my electronic companion for the coming storm wisely...

No comments:

Post a Comment